Keeping up to date on the latest labour laws and regulations, HR trends, and global HR news is a challenge that many HR professionals face.
In an area that is as broad in scope as HR, the amount of information and volume of sources out there can be simply overwhelming.
In addition to maintaining up to date knowledge, HR professionals carry the responsibility of being able to interpret and apply laws and regulations fairly and equitably, staying conscious of the fact that every decision may set a precedent that will have a long-lasting impact on the organisation.
In the UAE, there is an additional level of complexity due to the need to take into account differing laws for Emirati nationals and the diverse expatriate workforce.
Most people have made a personal list of sites and sources that they have found to be useful. In this article, we aim to add to your list by giving you links to resources that will help you keep up to date and connected to other HR professionals worldwide.
1. Government Sites
- MOHRE – the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation site – the official source of information on UAE Labour Law, International Agreements and Emiratisation Laws as well as the centralised provision of employment-related services.
- FAHR – the Federal Authority for Government Human Resources – covering the development of human resources in the UAE government sector.
- GDRFA – the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs – Dubai is the government agency regulating the residency of foreign nationals and the entry and exit of international travelers to and from the Emirate of Dubai. It holds a wealth of information on visiting and living in Dubai as well as being the core source of information and services related to visa processing.
- MOHAP – the Ministry of Health and Prevention is the government regulator and supervisor for the UAE healthcare sector.
2. Professional HR Bodies
- SHRM Middle East and North Africa – the Society for Human Resource Management Middle East and North Africa provides support throughout the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and the Middle East and North Africa region. It delivers certification and professional development programs, conferences and in-house courses to both the private and public sector.
- CIPD – the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development is an HR professional body for knowledge and skills development that provides training, certification and a wide range of resources to HR professionals.
- ATD – the Association for Talent Development is a professional membership organisation for those involved in supporting knowledge and skills development. It works across all industries and has members from more than 120 countries.
- ASHRM – the Arabian Society for HR Management is a regional voice for HR management and the sharing or resources and knowledge.
3. General HR sites
- HR.com – HR.com is the largest global online community for human resources professionals.
- Linked HR– LinkedIn, the top social network for professionals, has several groups dedicated to Human Resources. Linked: HR is the leading Human Resources Group on LinkedIn with over 697,000 members and hundreds of active discussions monthly.
- Deloitte Human Capital Insights – Deloitte conducts some of the most useful surveys and audits in the HR field, and their Insights web section enables you to search through information on a wide variety of topics.
When you don’t have time to search through the internet, we hope that the above will give you a head start to be finding what you are looking for – and while you’re searching why not browse through our very own HRBluSky blog!